45 years experience!
Experienced California Attorney
Wills, Probate, & Trusts
Serving the Sacramento Valley
Victor Waid, Attorney at Law, has over 45 years experience:
What is Probate?
Probate is the legal process through which the court sees that, when you die, your debts are paid and your asets are distributed according to your will. If you don't have a valid Will, your assets are distributed according to state law.
What's so bad about probate?
- It can be expensive
- It takes time
- Your family has no privacy
- Your family has no control
- Doesn't joint ownership avoid probate?
- Not reall, usually just postponing probate
- When adding co-owners you lose control
- Chances of being named in a lawsuit and of losing the asset to a creditor are increased
- There could be gift and/or income tax problems
- You could disinherit your family
- If a co-owner becomes incapacitated, you could find yourself with a new "co-owner" - the court - even if the incapacitated owner is your spouse
- Why would the court get involved at incapacity?
- If you cannot conduct business due to mental or physical incapacity
- Remember a Will only goes into effect when you die
- Does a durable power of attorney prevent this?
- Durable power of attoreny let you name someone to manage your financial affairs if you are unable to do so
- Many financial institutions will not honor one unless it is on their form
- If durable power of attorney is accepted, it may give someone a "blank check" to do whatever he/she wants with your asets. It is very effective when used with a living trust, but risky when used alone
Call for an appointment at 916-923-2345
A Law Firm Focused on Solving Your Problems
At the Law Office of Victor Waid, I work personally with clients in Wills, Trusts and Probate matters. With 39 years of experience practicing law I can give you answers to your questions about Probate Administration, Conservatorships, and Estate Planning, including how the legal process works and what your rights and obligations are.
Schedule an Appointment Today
To schedule an appointment, please email me or contact me at 916-923-2345. Conveniently located at the corner of American River Drive & Howe Ave. Office hours are from 9-4, with evening and weekend appointments available. I will make house calls.
Law Office of Victor Waid
The Law Office of Victor Waid is located in Sacramento, California, and represents clients in the greater Sacramento area and the Sacramento Valley.
333 University Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
Telephone: 916-923-2345 firstname.lastname@example.org